Saturday, February 9, 2013

8:50pm on a Saturday

         I just put my 4 year old daughter and my 2 year old daughter to bed.  As I begin typing this, I hear foot steps coming down the stairs.  So it goes when I try to complete any sort of task.  I love my girls, but I miss being able to do whatever I wanted at any time of day.  Really my life is not that hard in comparison to most people.  It is hard to maintain a quality in the things I do when I'm doing so many things.
          The blog thing is not new to me by any means.  I've had a blog for my art class for 3 years now and have found few problems with it.  My students love being able to see their work and share it with family who don't live nearby.  They also have a much larger audience seeing their work than in any hallway in the school or in any building.  My school blog, sellsart.blogspot.com has had over 18,000 page views.  My school only has a total of around 900 students.  My students have been extremely motivated to create excellent work so that it will make it on the site.  I try to pick the best work of my students to add to the site.  I think it's great, but other people may raise an eyebrow due to fear of what social media can do in a negative way.
            I've found there are a few really basic and really simple rules.  As follows

  1. Never post a photo of a students face, or a photo that can identify them.
  2. Never post a students' name
  3. Always speak in a positive way about what you're posting.  
      Facebook is great, but also has it dangers and legal implications.  It's never a good idea to be a "friend" of one of your students on Facebook, twitter, or any other sort of site.  There are too many ways for a teacher to lose their license very quickly.  For these reasons, I love blogger because it is easily linked to Facebook but not directly connected.  It is not a Facebook page.  Blogger sites run independently from Facebook but allow my students or their parents to share directly to Facebook if they are logged in.  

2 comments:

  1. Good job getting the blog set up. I will have you post two more times during the class and will let you know the week using the announcement. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Rauh,

    I enjoyed reading your blog! I have a 4 year old son, so I know exactly what it is like trying to get things done. I love how you linked your other blogs to this one. By the way, nice photography--it was beautiful. I also liked the few simple rules you posted on this blog. As a knew blogger and aspiring teacher, I found them very helpful. You've done a great job with blogging and look forward to reading more from you.

    MaLinda

    ReplyDelete